The Hawks Pleasure Club of Essex was formed in 1944 by twenty one charter members. In the first twenty three years, there were many various meeting places before we finally had a permanent place to call home. In 1944 our meeting places consisted of Kapler's Tavern, Hollywood Park, Midway Cafe, Earl Richardson's Garage and The Old Men's Democratic Club. In 1946 it was the American Legion hall. From 1947 to 1967 it was the Young Men's Democratic Club.
In the year 1947 the Hawks Pleasure Club acquired a lot for $22,000 and built a pavilion three years later. Finally in 1967, after the pavilion was enclosed, it became, and always will be our home for weekly meetings and various social events.